Ford Motor Company

Dublin Core

Title

Ford Motor Company

Subject

The Ford Motor Company was opened in Trafford Park in October 1911, to assemble Model-T cars and trucks. It was first factory to open outside of America and Canada. Before moving operations to Dagenham, Essex, in 1931, over 300,000 vehicles were assembled in Trafford Park. During the Second World War, operations resumed in Trafford Park, and workers produced Rolls-Royce's 'Merlin' engine for the Spitfire and Lancaster aeroplanes models.

Description

The Ford Motor Company was opened in Trafford Park in October 1911, to assemble Model-T cars and trucks. It was first factory to open outside of America and Canada. Before moving operations to Dagenham, Essex, in 1931, over 300,000 vehicles were assembled in Trafford Park.

The Second World War prompted a return of the Ford Motor Company to Trafford Park, where workers produced Rolls-Royce Merlin aero-engines to be used in both the Spitfire and Lancaster aeroplane models. The new factory on Barton Dock Road was located close to the original Ford site and, on completion, the factory buildings spanned over 44 acres. By June 1941 the company was producing 400 engines a month; by 1943 these numbers had risen to 900.

In 2014, a blue plaque was erected at Intu Trafford Centre.

Creator

Trafford Local Studies Centre

Rights

This image may be subject to copyright law, in accordance with the UK Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Under the terms of 'fair dealing' it may be used for non-commercial research and private study. The person using the image is responsible for any infringement.

Files

Blue Plaque  1_edited-2.jpg

Citation

Trafford Local Studies Centre, “Ford Motor Company,” Exploring Trafford's Heritage , accessed June 14, 2024, https://exploringtraffordsheritage.omeka.net/items/show/2512.

Geolocation