The Stretford Coat of Arms

Dublin Core


The Stretford Coat of Arms


The Stretford Coat of Arms were officially granted on 20 February 1933. The flail and scythe are taken from the arms of the de Trafford family, who long resided in Stretford. The galley or Lymphad sail, shows Stretford’s long-standing association with the sea, by means of the River Mersey and River Irwell. The lion is taken from the arms of John of Gaunt. The roses are for Lancashire and the scythe recalls the agricultural nature of the area in the past. The thunderbolt represents the town's industrial development, in which electricity has played a major role.


Trafford Local Studies collection, cat. ref. TL10293


It is the sole responsibility of the researcher to acquire any necessary permission(s) from copyright owners, as well as to ensure that their work does not breach copyright terms and conditions.




“The Stretford Coat of Arms,” Exploring Trafford's Heritage , accessed July 15, 2024,