The Urmston Coat of Arms

Dublin Core

Title

The Urmston Coat of Arms

Description

The Urmston Coat of Arms were officially granted on 10 June 1942. The chevron and martlets are from the heraldry of the local families of Asshawe and Hyde, and the griffin is from the arms of the de Traffords. The oak tree symbolises the preservation of the rural aspect of the district. while the anvil and waves represent water and refer to the River Mersey and the Ship Canal. The squirrel is taken from the arms of the de Ormeston family and the balance is an emblem of St. Michael, patron saint of the parish.

Source

Trafford Local Studies collection, cat. ref. TL10292

Rights

It is the sole responsibility of the researcher to acquire any necessary permission(s) from copyright owners, as well as to ensure that their work does not breach copyright terms and conditions.

Files

TL10292.jpg

Citation

“The Urmston Coat of Arms,” Exploring Trafford's Heritage , accessed July 15, 2024, https://exploringtraffordsheritage.omeka.net/items/show/3542.