- LOCAL STUDIES & ARCHIVE CENTRE
GUIDES & RESOURCES
- Interactive map: Trafford Blue Plaques
- The First World War in Trafford - Research Database
- Trafford History Trails
- Guide: Research your British Ancestors using Ancestry
- Guide: Research your Caribbean Ancestors using Ancestry
- Guide: Research your Irish Ancestors using Ancestry
- Guide: Research the History of your House
- Guide: Organising your Family History Research
- Guide: Understanding census records
- 'Get to Know Your Grandparent(s)!' Children's Interview Activity Sheet
Trafford Local Studies & Archive Centre collects and preserves material relating to the former towns and rural areas which, since 1974, make up the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford. These include Altrincham, Ashton-on-Mersey, Bowdon, Carrington, Dunham Massey, Hale, Partington, Sale, Stretford (including Trafford Park), Timperley, Urmston, Warburton.
Our collections include archival records created by organisations or institutions, business records and personal papers. We also hold an art and heritage collection that is comprised of artefacts and works of art with links to the local area.
The Centre is located on the ground floor of Waterside House, in Sale (M33 7ZF). Our facilities include a Reading Room for the purposes of archives research and study, along with a bank of public computers and both microfilm and microfiche readers. Our library stock specialises in local and regional history research, and is comprised of reference collections, lending stock, periodicals and journals. We also hold an ever-increasing range of genealogical material to aid family history research, available both in print and online.
Thinking of visiting? Click here for visitor information.
Interested in researching our collections? Click here to access our archive’s online catalogue.